Wednesday, September 12, 2007

A Few of My Favorite Things



The first picture is of a passiflora incarnata, or the common name "passion flower". I first came upon this beauty when we lived in Aberdeen, NC, where the plant grew wild; it literally was covering half of the back yard. Fortunately, we transplanted one of the plants into a planter and transferred it to VA with us! Jamie and I had to research this amazing plant and we found out some amazing things. First it is considered an herb. The leaves can be used to make a tea that is used to treat insomnia, hysteria, and epilepsy...and has some uses as a painkiller. After the plant flowers that fantastic bloom, a fruit pod follows. We here that they turn yellow and are quite delicious. Supposedly used in Hawaiian punch, and much like a guava. I can't wait to try it! Anyhow...that might be more information than you cared to know about this plant...but I think it's very fascinating and am so appreciative of the diversity of plants.



I had to post a picture of our up and coming fall garden. We will have more broccoli, cabbage, brussel sprouts, squash, green beans, radishes, mustard, kale, lettuce, carrots, arugula, spinach, dill....to know what to do with! :) Peace..

2 comments:

JH said...

Charlene - why are you so dorbie? I love you and will be seeing you in about two weeks. . .can you believe it is here already?!

NABR said...

Oh no, how I miss you. :( Especially when I read things like this... I will call tomorrow...it has been a crazy couple of days with school deadlines. Love you so much.
Yours,
Natalia