Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Run-in with the Rooster

Today I had a run-in with our dear little rooster here. Actually he is not at all a "dear little" rooster; in fact he is a large, mean rooster with enormous spurs. We currently keep him and his two hens fenced up in a 10x10 area. I have taken upon myself to feed the birds in the morning...which up to this point has been a pleasant undertaking. I usually chirp "good-morning" to them and ask them "how are you?" while dumping mash in their feeder. I occasionally bring a stick in the pen to shoo the rooster from the entrance, but the past several days I haven't needed the stick. So today I went in without the stick, thinking business as usual; I opened the door and kicked a little to have the rooster move...and instead of moving he took my warning kick as a sign that I wanted to fight. He flapped his big wings and started trying to jump up on my legs and spur me. Meanwhile, I am kicking like mad and my heart almost out of my chest!! It was all a blur, but I finally managed to land a good kick in his chest and sent him back a few feet! Yikes...so much for the peace of wild things! Not at that moment anyway. The fiasco ended with me yelling to the chickens "that I'm the boss and that is not a friendly thing to do to someone who is taking care of you" Whew...hopefully that will sink into their bird brains... and just in case it doesn't, I'll be sure to bring that stick in with me!

p.s. I'll post pictures of the beast soon!

4 comments:

audrey lasalle said...

sis,
that is the funniest thing...i was lol.

love,
aud

Katie and Jaimee said...

OMG - this made me laugh!!! You know this happened to me at the farm - remember that old fat rooster we had? Well, it attacked me that same way and I was so scared.
Stay save - it's a war out there! Hahahaha

Katie and Jaimee said...

ok - i realized I said "save" not "safe"....you know me and my spelling issues.....

JH said...

ok. . .i'm totally laughing right now between holls' story and katie's misspellings. ..

char, you are a crack up! can't wait to brave the rooster with you first week of october:)